Work Permit

  1. You must receive a job offer.
  2. Fill out the Work Permit Application (B1-1) and have signed by a parent and your employer.
  3. Complete Permit to Work (B1-4) by filling in personal information and signing.
  4. Bring both forms in to the College and Career Center to get approved and signed.
  5. Check back with Mrs. B. for the signed permit.
    • Allow up to 2 days for processing
    • Take the Work Permit to your employer


General information about work permits:

    • You must have a work permit from your high school in order to have a job.
    • For assistance with completing the paperwork, contact Mrs. B. [email protected] (excluding summer break)
    • Work permits are renewed annually at the start of school or when a student obtains a new job.
    • Work permits serve as an age certificate and state the maximum hours a minor may work.
    • Students have restricted working hours depending on their age
    • You must attend school full time (except for summer vacation) and cannot be truant.
    • All minors must be covered by Workers’ Compensation, including minors employed by businesses operating from a private residence.
    • It is illegal for your employer to fire or punish you for reporting a workplace problem.
    • Permits can be rescinded by poor or failing grades and unexcused attendance.

For additional information, visit the California Department of Education  Work Permits for Students