THE CALIFORNIA HEALTHY YOUTH ACT – EDUCATION CODE §§ 51930‐51939
COMPREHENSIVE SEXUAL HEALTH AND HIV PREVENTION EDUCATION
PARENT/GUARDIAN NOTIFICATION FOR GRADES 7‐12
California state law, the California Healthy Youth Act, requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students at least once in middle school or junior high school and once in high school, starting in grade 7.
Western Sierra Collegiate Academy's Comprehensive Sex Education curriculum will present factual information based on current scientific evidence which empowers the student to follow a course of abstinence and other healthy sexual attitudes and behaviors, recognizing the family as the primary provider of sex education.
Instruction must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality. Instruction must be medically accurate, age‐appropriate and inclusive of all students. It must include the following:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about the value of delaying sexual activity
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS
- Information about accessing resources for sexual and reproductive health care
- Information about pregnancy, including FDA approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law
- Information about sexual orientation and gender, including the harm of negative gender stereotypes
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations
- Age-appropriate instruction on the prevention of human trafficking, including sexual abuse, assault, and harassment
You can examine written and audiovisual instructional materials at Western Sierra’s main office. If you have questions, please contact your child’s science teacher. You may request a copy of the California Healthy Youth Act (California Education Code Sections 51930‐51939) by contacting the Western Sierra Collegiate Academy.
This instruction will only be provided in 7th grade Science and 9th grade Biology.
State law allows you to remove your student from this instruction. If you do not want your student to participate in comprehensive sexual health or HIV prevention education, please complete the opt-out form. If you opt your child out of the comprehensive sexual health education, your child will be provided an independent study nutrition unit.
Opt-Out Due March 3, 2023